Steve Steve: An MP3 Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Protest music for hipsters


Here are some of my favorite songs that have helped keep me distracted from politics lately:

The Silver Jews - "The Frontier Index". David Berman is a fucking poet...
"When I was younger I was a cobra
in every case I wanted to be cool
Now that I'm older and sub-space is colder
I just want to say something true."

The National are a solid rock band whose songs remind me of high school and of college in LA. They bring up strong emotions in me, but in a nostalgic way, where I remember having those feelings and wish I could still feel that sort of passion without critically distancing myself from it. But at the same time feeling distanced from that wish, since I see through the superficial intensity of those feelings. So, for nostalgia's sake, try... The National - "Abel", "Mr. November", and "Karen".

This song is a real pick-me-up (in the vein of Hayden): "I wish there was a place where I could go, where I don't feel like an animal... to you... and yours." - The Standard - "Unicorns and Chemicals".

It may take you a few listens to begin to appreciate these songs by Why?, since the singer's voice is annoying at first and the lyrics are surreal. But I recommend giving it a try, since it's one of only a few discs from last year that I still listen to regularly. Why? is working along the lines of what Outkast gestured towards with 'Hey Ya' (and The Roots with 'Seed 2.0'), an integration of hip-hop and indie/folk rock, but more whiney and poetic. Why? - "Gemini (birthday song)" and "Whispers into the other".

Probably the most important statement on Arab-Israeli situation is the song "Smash Your Head" from Girl Talk's "Night Ripper". The mash-up of Elton John and Biggie is totally a metaphor for Israel and Hezbollah (and the Smashing Pumpkins/Three-Six Mafia mash-up represents Israel and Hamas (since the Hamas leader, Ismail Haniyeh's, is well known for his propensity for sip-sippin' on sizzurp)).

2 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

congrats on the first naked lady post, Eli. hopefully more to come.

actually your entry will inspire my next one... but not the boobs, the political stuff.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I about the post should have more info then it has.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home